Ford Pro, the commercial vehicles and services division of Ford, has announced a major upgrade for its Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit models in Europe, which will be available to customers in 2024. The upgrade includes new digital features, improved technology, and enhanced performance that will help businesses optimize their operations and increase their productivity.
The Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit are the flagship products of Ford Pro, which has been the market leader in commercial vehicles in Europe for eight consecutive years. According to Ford Pro, the company reached its highest ever market share in Europe of 15% in 2022 and increased its market share year-over-year in eleven countries: Britain, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Ireland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, and Turkey. The Ford Transit Custom was also the best-selling one-tonne van in Europe and the best-selling vehicle overall in Britain.
Ford Pro aims to maintain its leadership position by offering its customers the most technologically advanced and connected commercial vehicles in the industry. The new features and improvements for the 2024 model year of the Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit include:
Connectivity and Software
- SYNC4 multimedia system with a 12-inch touchscreen and an 8-inch digital instrument cluster that provides an intuitive and driver-oriented cockpit. The system also features a navigation system with real-time traffic information that helps drivers plan routes and stick to schedules.
- Ford’s most advanced 5G modem provides ultra-fast connectivity to Transit smart technologies and over-the-air (OTA) Ford Power-Up updates that improve vehicle productivity without the need for a dealer visit. The updates can also enhance vehicle features, performance, quality, and security over time.
- Delivery Assist technology that automates repetitive security tasks for delivery drivers who often exceed 150 locations per day. The system can shorten each delivery by up to 20 seconds by shifting to Park mode, turning off the engine, activating the hazard lights and alarm, and locking doors that the driver is not using to exit the cabin or access cargo. When returning to the vehicle, pressing the brake pedal restarts the engine and deactivates the hazard lights.
- Upfit Integration System that allows drivers to control aftermarket equipment via digital controls on the multimedia system screen. The equipment can also be connected to Ford Pro software services to be monitored remotely. For example, the temperature can be monitored in refrigerated vehicles transporting pharmaceuticals or food and beverages, where an uninterrupted cold chain is essential in transport.
Performance and Efficiency
- A redesigned front axle that increases payload by up to 80 kg on rear-wheel drive models and improves steering response and handling.
- A new eight-speed automatic transmission option for rear-wheel drive models that offer smoother gear changes, better fuel efficiency, and lower emissions. The transmission also features a SelectShift function that allows manual control of gear selection.
- A lighter chassis that reduces vehicle weight by up to 30 kg on rear-wheel drive models and helps maximize cargo capacity. The chassis also improves aerodynamics and reduces noise levels inside the cabin.
- A range of advanced driver assistance systems that become standard on all models, including Pre-Collision Assist with Automatic Emergency Braking, Lane Keeping Alert & Aid, and Intelligent Speed Assist. Additional driver assistance packages include Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop & Go, Active Park Assist 360, and Reverse Brake Assist.
The Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit will be available to order this summer, with deliveries starting in the summer of 2024. The Transit will offer a range of diesel engines with different power outputs and emissions levels, while the E-Transit will offer a fully electric powertrain with a range of up to 350 km (217 miles) on a single charge.
The Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit are part of Ford Pro’s vision to provide customers with a comprehensive platform of software, charging, servicing, and financing solutions that are purpose-built to accelerate their productivity and sustainability. Ford Pro also offers other products and services, such as:
- Ford Fleet Management: A joint venture with ALD Automotive that provides fleet management solutions such as leasing, maintenance, telematics, insurance, remarketing, etc.
- Ford Pro Charging: A charging service that provides access to more than 155,000 public charging points across Europe through a single account. The service also offers smart charging solutions for home and business locations.
- Ford Pro Intelligence: A software service that provides data-driven insights into vehicle performance, health, utilization, driver behavior, fuel consumption, emissions, etc. The service also enables remote diagnostics and maintenance scheduling.
- Ford Pro Vehicle Solutions: A service that provides customized conversions for specific customer needs such as refrigeration units, wheelchair lifts, mobile workshops, etc.
“Ford Pro is more than just a provider of commercial vehicles. We are a trusted partner for our customers, offering them a complete ecosystem of products and services that help them run their businesses more efficiently, effectively, and sustainably. The Ford Transit and Ford E-Transit are the core of our ecosystem, and we are constantly improving them to meet the evolving needs and expectations of our customers,” said Hans Schep, general manager of Ford Pro, Europe.